Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Short Sleeves!!!

The first Thursday was devoted to going over technical stuff about internship as well as some basic do’s and don’ts in Kenyan culture. It was all fairly laid back, but we had fun and learned one thing that, to me at least, was really exciting.

Apparently, over the last four or five months (since the last time we heard anything about dress code for Kenya), the girls who are in Garissa right now on internship have reassessed, and, while skirts are still a requirement for pretty much all females in the upcountry, there are certain contexts, while in town, where it is perfectly okay for girls to wear short sleeved t-shirts.
Yep. Jessica is mucho excited.

And I really need to quit using that word. People from Kenya look at me funny every time it pops out of my mouth like, “You were speaking English, but I have no clue what that word was that just came out of your mouth. Are you okay?”

No comments:

Brains and Boxes

Nine years ago, I sat on a dark rooftop with an uncertain and frustrated team. Frustrated by the four walls that seemed to be hemming t...