Sunday, February 17, 2008

World's Largest Disco Ball

So... I've officially slept for twelve hours between last night and now, and I'm still tired. Granted, that's not all from the Aquire the Fire (ATF) -- something about staying up until 2:00am every night this week -- but working from 7:00am to 9:00pm certainly had something to do with it.

Officially, I worked as an usher on Saturday -- I had outreach on Friday night, so I missed the first part of the event -- which ment that I ran up and down stairs and up and down stairs and up and down stairs. Halfway through the morning, though, I got moved to the "tin foil table" where I covered pieces of cardboard with tin foil for the kids and leaders. It was slightly crazy, but a couple of the other volunteers and a couple of wonderful highschool girls came to my rescue, tore foil and handed out cardboard as fast as their hands could fly. (three of them were actually my mentor's cousins) We survived, and got through the massive line just a few minutes after the lunch break ended. There were a few more rush times, but a couple of guys who were attending and one of the youth pastors helped me prep a bunch of squares, so it was much calmer.

The end result was certainly worth it though. Mike was talking about letting your light shine and your voice be heard, and he asked all of the kids, who wanted to commit to doing so, to stand and flash their tin foil while they played lights all across the stadium. It looked like a giant disco ball, and the visual was pretty sweet. A bunch of the people who worked at the Target Center (where we held the event) came in to watch, so they got to hear part of what Mike said as well.

Blessings,

Jessica Mac <><
Numbers 6:24-26

No comments:

Brains and Boxes

Nine years ago, I sat on a dark rooftop with an uncertain and frustrated team. Frustrated by the four walls that seemed to be hemming t...