Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Redefining Normal

As I've been searching for materials to use during the Focus Month, one of the goals has been to incorporate things from a variety of sources, with a variety of backgrounds and worldviews.

Politics are different, strategies are different, but, at the core, everyone wants to do one thing. Human beings seem to know innately that there is something not right about the way that things are, that things are not the way that they should be, but, we also seem to be under the impression that by simply redefining the way that we respond to our world, we will be able to change it.

Everyone is trying to redefine normal.

What if? What if I could talk or type enough words to redefine normal, to create a world where it wasn't a frightening thought to let your teenager do something for a month outside of your direct supervision? What if I could redefine normal to the point where injustices, as we know them now, were no longer a part of our world?

Would I really be fixing the world's problems, or just changing them?

I'm all for questioning the way that things are, in fact, I hugely encourage it, but we can "redefine" until we are blue in the face, and still find that there is no way to define willful human behavior out of the equation.

Still, that doesn't mean that we stop trying.

Normal states that my body uses up calories and I get hungry, but that doesn't stop me from trying to redefine normal three times a day by putting in more food and masking the "normal" of hunger. Normal states that burning calories makes my body tired, but that doesn't stop me from using sleep to try and redefine the "normal" of tiredness.

Normal states that humans will care for their own needs, even if it leaves others in want, but that doesn't stop me from giving, from using my resources to try to redefine that "normal." And, normal states that those in power will abuse it, but that doesn't stop me from acting justly.

Think about it. How many times a day do you redefine the "normal" of a fallen world?

No comments:

Brains and Boxes

Nine years ago, I sat on a dark rooftop with an uncertain and frustrated team. Frustrated by the four walls that seemed to be hemming t...