Wednesday, July 14, 2010

His

Haha. I feel a little like a door to door salesperson lately, always trying to jump into the shoes of the one "selling" the Focus Month project to people that I talk to. At which point, the Lord always manages to give a reminder, sometimes more firmly than others, that the project is not mine to sell, and never has been.

None of this belongs to me.

The idea was not mine to begin with, but His. The timing of putting it all together is not mine, but His. The people who will be involved with the project are most emphatically not mine, but His. The glory that is intended to come is not mine, but His.

Really, I have everything to gain and nothing to lose, because all that I am doing is jumping on board with what He is already carrying out. With or without me, His purposes will be fulfilled.

In some ways, it reminds me of a poem that I had to memorize my Sophomore (??) year of high school. (Yes, Mom. I do still remember some of those, even with the apparent lack of effort put into working on them.) Martha Snell Nicholson wrote the following:

When I stand at the judgment seat of Christ
And He shows me His plan for me,
The Plan of my life as it might have been
Had He had His way, and I see

How I blocked Him here, and I checked Him there,
And I would not yield my will --
Will there be grief in my Savior's eyes,
Grief, though He loves me still?

He would have me rich, and I stand there poor,
Stripped of all but His grace,
While memory runs like a hunted thing
Down the paths I cannot retrace.

Then my desolate heart will well-nigh break
With the tears that I cannot shed;
I shall cover my face with my empty hands,
I shall bow my uncrowned head...

Lord of the years that are left to me,
I give them to Thy hand;
Take me and break me, mould me to
The pattern Thou hast planned!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm, Yeah, I cried a little.

Esther said...

Wow...

Brains and Boxes

Nine years ago, I sat on a dark rooftop with an uncertain and frustrated team. Frustrated by the four walls that seemed to be hemming t...